Senior skin is more likely to tear and lose moisture and elasticity than younger people, which is why live-in Dallas caregivers need to take extra precautions to help care for their loved one’s skin. Choosing the right products to protect, repair, and rejuvenate aging skin can be difficult, but with the following tips and product recommendations, senior skin care can be a breeze.
What to Use and What to Avoid
Using skin lotions that are rich in vitamins A, C and E along with glycerin are key ingredients to look for. On labels, vitamin A can be listed as retinol, C as ascorbic acid and E as tocopheryl acetate. Glycerin, shea butter, petrolatum and natural oils such as almond and olive are also good ingredients to look for. On the other hand, be sure to avoid products that are highly scented or colored because those ingredients are not only unnecessary, but can cause adverse skin reactions like redness or rashes.
Nourish Skin from the Inside
Making sure your senior loved one has healthy skin, like many other health virtues, starts with a proper diet. Be sure to help your loved one eat plenty of foods rich in protein such as chicken, fish, beans, and yogurt. Additionally, many seniors have difficulty drinking enough water. Staying hydrated is essential for maintaining healthy skin. A daily vitamin that contains A, C and E is also ideal for seniors as these vitamins promote skin health from the inside out.
Ideal Products for Seniors
- Avon’s Moisture Therapy – This has an intensive repair and protect formula for hands and body that is unscented and rich in glycerin. Both products help hydrate skin and for a decent price. There’s no need to spend a lot of money to find products that contain these ingredients.
- Burt’s Bees – Here is another cosmetic line that is either unscented or lightly scented with natural oils or vitamins. This will prevent your loved one’s sensitive skin from becoming irritated.
- Clinique – These products are famous for their unscented lotions, serums and makeup products. They have numerous cleansers and moisturizers that suit virtually any skin type, no matter what your age.
- Devita – This a brand that makes products for all ages and have ingredients rich with natural oils that make them especially healthy for seniors.
- Lubriderm or Aquaphor – These are both recommended by dermatologists for their mild yet hydrating formulas. As previously mentioned, hydration is key to maintaining healthy skin.
Skin health isn’t the only important aspect of aging. As we age, our bodies and minds need regular maintenance as well. With help from Home Care Assistance of Dallas, seniors receive cognitive stimulation, emotional support, and help maintaining a healthy lifestyle. Our highly trained caregivers work with seniors to establish a balanced routine of healthy diet, regular exercise, and socialization to promote health and wellbeing in the comfort of home. Learn more today by calling (214) 363-3400 and scheduling a no-obligation consultation with a friendly Care Manager.